Best Hornets Scenarios At Number 9
No one knows for sure what the Hornets are going to do with the #9 pick in the Draft on Thursday. But, a fan can dream, right? Here is my order of a few choice scenarios for the Hornets at 9.
1) Draft Joel Embid- I said dream right? His stress fracture in his foot and his back issues have many execs worried. He is dropping. It is just a matter of how far. SI’s Chris Mannix told us he won’t get past #7. But, if he were to drop two spots further, I would sprint the pick to the podium. His Freshman numbers were better than Hakeem’s and he has only played 4 years of hoops. Talk about upside.
2) Draft Embid and trade him for a vet- Yes I know I am still dreamin’, but he could be a hell of a trade chip.
3) Draft Adrien Payne- He is a perfect stretch four to keep things clear for Big Al down low. He plays hard, shoots from deep and defends. Could allow you to let McRoberts walk and go with Cody and Payne as your 4s.
4) Draft GaryHarris- I can’t get much support on this one because he measured at 6’2 1/2 without shoes at the combine. That is small for a SG, but he can slide over and play some backup PG, he defends and he can shoot from deep. Could be a 3 and D two guard and a backup PG.
5) Draft Stauskas or McDermott if you must. I am not a huge fan because I think these guys are one dimensional. But, they can shoot it. I won’t love it, but they will fill a needed role on this team.