7 Heroin Overdoses In 24 Hours In NC
HIGH POINT, N.C. (AP) — Authorities in High Point and Guilford County say there were seven heroin overdoses in a 24-hour period, and they point to a dangerous strain of the drug coming through the county.
Capt. Mike Kirk of the High Point Police Department told reporters Friday that one of the recent victims was in critical condition at High Point Regional Hospital. Maj. Jim Albright, director of emergency services for the county, said a spike so high in a single day raises concern.
Statistics from the police department show that through Friday, there had been 34 drug overdoses, with 31 involving heroin.
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s 14-person Triad task force is assisting High Point police in its current investigation of heroin use in the city.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- President Of Law School Resigns Days After Starting Job
- Ex-Fire Department Chief Charged With Embezzlement
- Firefighter Sentenced For Trying To Hire Undercover Officer To Kill Wife
- University Removes Cosby’s Name From Its Board Of Advisers Amid Sex Assault Allegations
- Group Of Mothers Push To Ban Guns From Store