35-Year-Old Inmate Dies In York County Jail
YORK, S.C. (AP) — Deputies and state agents are investigating after an inmate was found dead in the York County jail.
Authorities said 35-year-old Leonard Savercool Jr. was found unconscious and not breathing around 9:15 p.m. Sunday.
Savercool ended up in the jail Friday after he was arrested in Fort Mill and charged with petit larceny and entering a premises after a warning. Authorities say Savercool lived in Salisbury, N.C.
An autopsy was performed, but York County Coroner Sabrina Gast says she wasn’t ready to rule on a cause of death. She said it didn’t appear to be a suicide and Savercool didn’t have any physical injuries.
Savercool is the third inmate to die in the York County jail in the past eight months.
The State Law Enforcement Division is helping to investigate.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Probe Reveals Scope Of Academic Fraud At UNC Involving 3,100 Students
- Researchers Find German U-Boat, Freighter Sunk Off NC Coast More Than 70 Years Ago During WWII Battle
- GOP Leader: NC Officials Can Refuse To Marry Gays
- HS Football Coach Ousted After Claims Of Racist Watermelon Postgame Celebration
- NC Campaign Flier Has Background Lynching Photo