NC Police Issue Warrant In Statewide Investigation Of Naked Teen Instagram Photos
Rowan County, N.C. (CBS CHARLOTTE) – North Carolina police have launched a state-wide investigation into naked photos of local teenage girls spreading rampantly through Instagram and Facebook accounts, and one 17-year-old high school student has been arrested and charged with cyberbullying.
Landis police, the State Bureau of Investigation and law enforcement across North Carolina have issued a warrant to Facebook – which owns the photo-sharing application Instagram – ordering that the social media company provide records to identify account holders distributing “inappropriate” nude photos of area high school girls as young as 14 and 15 years old.
Police began investigating the lewd Instagram accounts after a series of complaints from parents across the state who noticed the naked images on several accounts that had already amassed thousands of followers. Investigators are seeking felony charges for child pornography and sexual exploitation of a minor against the responsible account holders, WSOC reports.
A West Rowan High School student was arrested and suspended from school earlier this week for posting a fully nude photo of a local 15-year-old high school student on an Instagram account called, “Thesehoes01,” the Charlotte Observer and Associated Press reported. Investigators said they were able to trace the lewd photo back to 17-year-old Juan Batista of Woodleaf, who was arrested on charged with cyberbullying for operating the account.
“The victim’s photo had originally been sent to her boyfriend in confidence, but leaked to this boy, which then made it available on Instagram,” officials said. “(Bautista) was open and honest about his actions and accepts responsibility.”
The State Bureau of Investigation announced that it is in the midst of investigating tips of similar nude photos of girls identified as students from at least six county high schools in Wake County alone. Police in at least ten other counties – including Chatham, Johnston, Edgecombe, Craven, Randolph and Surry — are already investigating 40 similar accounts distributing naked photos of local teenagers.
Facebook was not reached for comment on Sunday, and police said that the company has been “uncooperative” in responding to the issued warrants for account holder information, ABC News first reported.
North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said on Wednesday that the inappropriate photos of high school students being distributed on social media is a problem that could get much worse as publicity spreads. Cooper is urging parents to talk to their children about appropriate Internet behavior to prevent future leaks.
“We’re getting more and more tips from people who are calling the SBI, calling local law enforcement, said Cooper. “We’re getting tips from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. I fear this is not the end of it…That’s why we’re taking this seriously, it is unusual to have this many in one area.”
In February, one Davidson County 17-year-old warned other teenagers not to make her same mistake after finding a topless picture she had sent to an ex-boyfriend appear on an Instagram account, WGHP first reported. Her parents are looking to press charges after fellow students were able to identify her in one of the several accounts showing the nude photos.
- Stars Who Look 20 But Are Really In Their 30’s
- Top 10 Brantley Gilbert Songs
- Top 10 Heart-stopping Ball Park Foods
- Justin Bieber: Then And Now
- Top 10 Feel Good Country Songs
- Top 10 Texts Not To Send To Your Dream Girl
- What’s Your Romantic Comedy Relationship Type?
- Top 10 Biggest Celebrity & Athlete Rants Of All Time
- Is Fasting Fabulous Or Just Another Diet Fad?
- Nicki Minaj Is Sorry You’re Upset About Her Single Art
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them