News Home

Teen Hospitalized For Swallowing Blow Dart After Accepting YouTube Challenge

View Comments
(credit: Andreas Rentz/Getty Images)

(credit: Andreas Rentz/Getty Images)

CHARLESTON COUNTY, S.C. (CBS Charlotte) – A teen was hospitalized after accepting a YouTube challenge and accidentally swallowed a blow dart.

“I tilted it up to shoot it out at a tree and it fell back out of the straw that I had it in,” Shawn Stillinger told WCSC. “And, it went into my throat.”

The 15-year-old admitted that accepting the homemade blow dart experiment as a challenge was a nightmare.

“One of the ladies told me they were going to have to cut my throat open,” Stillinger said.

The teenager visited two hospitals that couldn’t remove the dart.  He thought, “maybe they wouldn’t be able to get it out.”

Dr. David Gudis, a doctor of Otolaryngology from MUSC, stepped in to help resolve the situation.

“We could access his airway and operate on his airway endoscopically all through his mouth,” Gudis said.

The doctor was able to successfully remove the dart without cutting into his throat.

“People can die from this,” Gudis explained. “People can die from airway foreign bodies.”

“He was scared and I think he realized then what he did wasn’t really worth what he was feeling right at the moment,” Tara Chavis, the boy’s mother, told WCSC.

The teenager along with his mother are happy with the outcome.

“I hugged him when I got to where he was,” Chavis shared. “Then, I probably would have liked to have like 5 minutes in private with him. Maybe Dr. Gudis wouldn’t have had to do the job, because I might would have shaken it out of him.”

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 15,213 other followers