Health Benefits For Gay Couples In NC Cut By Blue Cross
CBS Charlotte (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSCharlotte.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSCharlotte.com/Health
Get Breaking News First
(CBS Charlotte) — Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina recently cancelled insurance polices which were previously purchased by gay and lesbian couples who opted to purchase a family insurance policy from the company.
The health insurance company opted to cancel the policies after stating that the language in the respective policies was geared more towards married couples and not gay couples. Terms such as “spouse” and “opposite sex” were used in the health insurance contracts, making them invalid.
Gay couples who purchased family coverage from Blue Cross have the option to instead purchase individual health care coverage.
Next year, in 2015, Blue Cross plans to offer health insurance coverage under the family plan to gay couples. In order for this to be possible, Blue Cross must first revise the health insurance application to include different terminology that applies to gay couples.
-Nichole Jaworski, CBS Charlotte
News From Our Music Sites
- Best Pictures From The 2014 GRAMMYs
- Celebrities Who Overcame An Eating Disorder
- Top 10 Biggest Celebrity & Athlete Rants Of All Time
- Brantley Gilbert Knows Tomorrow Is Never Promised
- Demi Lovato Through The Years
- Flu Virus Reaches Epidemic Proportions
- See it, Rent It, Or Skip It: ‘Her’
- Is Fasting Fabulous Or Just Another Diet Fad?
- Who Moves On Faster After A Breakup, Men Or Women?
- Top 10 U.S. Job Markets For 2014
- Two Amazing Covers You Don’t Want To Miss
- Roundtable Talk: Transracial Adoption
- Toby Keith Shocks Gun Fans By Posting ‘No Guns Permitted’ Sign At New Restaurant
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them