Man Dismantling Propane Tank Causes Fatal Rock Hill Fire
ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP) — Investigators say a fire in a Rock Hill home that killed a 98-year-old man started when the victim was taking apart a propane cylinder to sell as scrap metal.
Rock Hill Fire Department investigator Capt. Karen Kane said the man thought the 25-pound cylinder was empty, but it still had gas inside, which caused the explosion and fire Thursday.
Fred Cathcart was found dead in the home, while a woman inside was taken to a burn center in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Authorities are ruling the fire in the single-story home not far from Winthrop University an accident.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)