NC Woman Dies After Weekend Storm Packs High Winds
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Police say a 50-year-old woman is dead after a weekend storm generating winds that hit hurricane speeds tore through North Carolina.
Raleigh police said Sunday that Cheryl Harrison of Raleigh died after high winds broke the top off a tree that then fell onto the hiking trail she was walking with two men on Saturday afternoon.
Heavy gusts of wind toppled trees large and small across the region Saturday. The News & Observer of Raleigh reports (http://bit.ly/1kwOQ2D ) that one wind gust was recorded at 86 mph near Raleigh-Durham International Airport.
A row of buildings under construction at a Raleigh apartment complex collapsed in the wind, leaving piles of wooden wall frames and plywood. A large oak tree fell on a trailer home in Cary, but no injuries were reported.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man Will Now Get Warning Instead Of $525 Fine For Not Paying $0.89 For Refill
- Men Walk In Heels To Raise Awareness Of Violence Against Women
- 63-Year-Old Woman Stabbed To Death In Concord
- Former Teacher Faces Charges In Connection With Illegal Photography Of Students
- Bill Banning Abortions Beyond 19 Weeks Stalls In South Carolina Senate