Report: Clay Aiken Considering Run For Congress
RALEIGH, N. Car. (CBS Charlotte) – “American Idol” runner up Clay Aiken is “actively” considering seeking a congressional seat, reports the Washington Blade.
Democratic sources tell the LGBT publication that Aiken has consulted with political advisers in Washington about a bid to represent North Carolina’s 2nd district.
The 35-year-old came out as gay in 2008, with a highly publicized cover story in People Magazine and has lent his support to LGBT causes.
Aiken, a native of Raleigh, spoke to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and has been meeting with prominent political figures in his home town, according to the Blade.
A source told the publication that it’s unclear when there might be an official announcement but that Aiken was “sounding and acting like a candidate.”
The 2nd congressional district, which includes Raleigh, is currently held by Republican Renee Ellmers.
Former North Carolina Commerce Secretary Keith Crisco is expected to formally announce his candidacy for the Democratic nomination next week.
The filing deadline for the Democratic primary is Feb. 28th.
- Justin Bieber’s Management: “He Is Not Retiring”
- See It, Rent It, Or Skip It: ‘Grudge Match’
- Zac Brown Band & Jake Owen Join Super Bowl XLVIII Performances
- See It, Rent It, Or Skip It: ‘The Wolf Of Wall Street’
- See It, Rent It, Or Skip It: Walking With Dinosaurs 3D
- The Truth About Dating Someone Who Has Kids
- 10 Ways You’re Driving Him Away
- Star Transformation: Ian Somerhalder
- Top 10 Highest Paid Celebrities Of 2013
- Celebrities Remember Paul Walker
- Hot & Sexy Bearded Celeb Men
- 10 Reasons Adam Levine Is The Sexiest Man Alive
- Michael Jordan: Team Will Use Same Colors As Old Hornets
- 5 Things You Should Never Purchase Online
- 5 Things You Spend Money On Then Never Use
- Top 10 Lessons We Can Learn From Our Dogs
- 5 Best Stadiums In The NFL
- Top Country Wedding Songs Of 2013
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them