Names Released Of Those Involved In NC Train Wreck
CARY, N.C. (AP) — Authorities have released the names of the woman killed and the man seriously injured after their car was struck by an Amtrak train in Cary.
Police Lt. Steve Wilkins says the driver of the car, 24-year-old Benny Derrick Dimery, was taken to a hospital for treatment after the Thursday morning crash. His girlfriend, 21-year-old Lauren Webb, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The northbound Silver Star was heading inbound to Cary’s Amtrak station on a route between Miami, Fla., and New York City. Authorities say none of the 291 passengers on board the train was injured.
Investigators are still working on the case but say they think Dimery drove around one of the crossing arms that blocked Southwest Maynard Road as the train approached.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Investigation Exposed ‘Shadow Curriculum’ Run Within UNC’s Former African And Afro-American Studies Dept.
- Tillis Camp Says Romney To Campaign For Him In NC
- Man Faced With Murder Charges After Girlfriend Found Dead In Home
- Woman Admits Lying To Cops When FBI Agent Was Shot
- SC Denies Gay Unions Despite Apellate Rulings