Woman Accused Of Shoplifting At Kohl’s Shot And Killed By Police
ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say Anderson police officers shot a woman suspected of shoplifting after she tried to run over them.
Investigators said the officers were following the car after getting a report of a shoplifter Friday night at a Kohl’s store.
Authorities say a passenger jumped out of the car when it stopped, then 49-year-old Sharon McDowell drove off.
Investigators say McDowell turned on a dirt road, then tried to ram police cars and run over officers who were trying to arrest her. The officers then opened fire, killing her.
Police say the passenger who jumped from the car has been taken into custody.
The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating the shooting.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bill Banning Abortions Beyond 19 Weeks Stalls In South Carolina Senate
- Ex-Greenville Police Officer Accused Of Tampering with Evidence, Obstructing Justice
- Bar Bans ‘Blurred Lines’ After UNC Student Complained Song Promoted Rape Culture
- Former NC Teacher Accused Of Sending Obscene Videos To Students
- SC Education Agency Pulls Out Of Testing Program