NC Woman Facing Death Sentence Hospitalized
SALISBURY, N.C. (AP) — A woman charged with murder in Rowan County has been hospitalized after authorities say she injured herself after learning she might face a death sentence if convicted.
Sixty-one-year-old Marlene Johnson is accused of killing a woman Johnson said was sleeping with her estranged husband.
Johnson was being evaluated at a hospital Tuesday night.
The sheriff’s office did not release information about her condition. But deputies say Johnson will be guarded continuously while in the hospital.
A report says she jumped backward to the floor from an upper bunk in her cell.
The sheriff’s office said Johnson had shown no signs of wanting to injure herself before she was notified that prosecutors plan to seek a death sentence if she is convicted in the July death of 62-year-old Shirley Pierce.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man Will Now Get Warning Instead Of $525 Fine For Not Paying $0.89 For Refill
- Men Walk In Heels To Raise Awareness Of Violence Against Women
- 63-Year-Old Woman Stabbed To Death In Concord
- Former Teacher Faces Charges In Connection With Illegal Photography Of Students
- Bill Banning Abortions Beyond 19 Weeks Stalls In South Carolina Senate