Suspect Named In Murder Of Mayor Of Columbia’s Brother-In-Law
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The brother-in-law of the mayor of Columbia, S.C., was shot and killed Friday afternoon outside a Charlotte store, police said.
Donald Gist Jr. was pronounced dead in the parking lot of the Queens Mini-Mart north of Charlotte’s Uptown around 1:15 p.m. Friday, investigators said.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg police department is looking for Arthur L. Givens, as it is believed he is responsible for the murder of Gist.
Gist’s sister is Circuit Court Judge DeAndrea Benjamin, who is married to Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin.
“The shock and sadness of the past few hours have been difficult to bear. We will remember Donald as he was: a loving husband, father, son and brother,” the Benjamin and Gist families said in a joint statement.
“We will continue to lean on our faith in Almighty God and each other as we try to make sense of this tragedy,” the families’ statement said.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man Will Now Get Warning Instead Of $525 Fine For Not Paying $0.89 For Refill
- Men Walk In Heels To Raise Awareness Of Violence Against Women
- 63-Year-Old Woman Stabbed To Death In Concord
- Former Teacher Faces Charges In Connection With Illegal Photography Of Students
- Bill Banning Abortions Beyond 19 Weeks Stalls In South Carolina Senate