Mac’s First College Basketball Impressions
Tuesday was a great night for college basketball. Four of the top Five teams in the same building on ESPN. I feel a great season coming on. Here are some of my College Basketball First Impressions.
1) Kentucky has heart. We know they have talent. But, when that team fought back last night against MSU, I think it proved that the Cats have heart too. Look out for this team.
2) UK can be zoned. Other than James Young, the outside shooting seems pretty dicey on the Wildcats. I see a team successuflly implementing a 2-3 zone against them in March.
3) MSU is better. It is largely the same team that lost to Duke in the Sweet 16 last year, but you can see how this team improved. Gary Harris is healthy now and better. Adrien Payne and Keith Appling had big games as well and look improved as well.
4) The new rules will affect Duke. Seemed like they got caught grabbing alot when KU put it on the deck. Plus, it appears the new charge rules might be leading to less flop attempts by the Devils. I know that would upset the ABCD crowd.
5) The other youngsters are key to Kansas. Andrew Wiggins is an athletic freak and he will only get better. But, guys like Wayne Seldin, Frank Mason and Joel Embid are young with upside too. If all of those guys develop, look out.
6) Bad night for the ACC. Duke. went down to Kansas. NC State fell at Cincy. And, UVA lost to VCU at home. Nothing extremely shameful there, but I thought the ACC would get at least one of those.
7) State needs Vandy back. I can’t believe I am saying this, but the Pack are so hurting inside, that they miss Jordan Vandenberg. The guy was in great shape after losing a bunch of weight. His presence is needed on both ends of the floor in the paint. he needs to get healthy for State soon.