(CBS Charlotte) — The world wide web paved the way for online shopping, and today, consumers prefer to shop online versus in stores. While there are many advantages to shopping online, such as not having to deal with crowds, being able to find exactly what you want, and there’s no transportation involved, etc., for safety reasons, there are some things that you should never buy online — ever!
5 Things To Never Purchase Online
1. Animals — Sure, most animals look adorable in pictures posted online, but never buy an animal online without first visiting the animal to make sure that they will be a good addition to your household. You cannot tell an animal’s temperament or the kind of conditions they are currently living in online. These two factors are very important when purchasing a pet.
2. Makeup — Are you a bargain hunter in search of the best deal on cosmetics? While you may find the “best makeup deal” around, you may also be purchasing counterfeit cosmetics that contains arsenic. An easy way to spot fake makeup is the lack of a batch number on the product.
3. Medication — With the cost of prescription medication skyrocketing, many people have turned to the internet to find “deals” on their medication. That good deal, however, can cost them their life — which probably isn’t that great of a deal in the long run.
4. Breast Milk — We’ve all heard it a thousand times before, “Breast milk is best.” And because new mothers hear this from their child’s pediatrician, over and over, many have taken to the internet to purchase breast milk from other mothers who have an ample supply of milk. Surprisingly, these mothers would rather give their infants breast milk from another mother who they do not even know, versus feeding them formula — because again, “breast milk is best,” right?
Not exactly. In fact, breast milk purchased online may actually pose a health risk for infants. According to researchers from Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, more than 75 percent of breast milk purchased through Only The Breast, an online store that sells breast milk, was contaminated.
5. Cars — Unless you can figure out how to virtually test drive a vehicle, buying a car online is not wise. Purchasing a vehicle is an investment, and buying a car that you haven’t looked over in person can turn into a nightmare, for more than one reason. In addition to the probability of the car being in poorer condition than what was visible online, there are plenty of fake sites out there that sell cars — meaning, they pretend to sell cars in an attempt to acquire your personal information. Enough said.
-Nichole Jaworski, CBS Charlotte