Odor In Hickory School Sends 14 To Hospital
HICKORY, N.C. (AP) — Officials say 19 students and one teacher have been evacuated from a Hickory school after an odor was discovered inside the building.
Authorities were called to the Hickory Career & Arts Magnet around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Students in a dance class became sick with nausea, dizziness and shaking. School officials said a dance instructor also fell ill.
The remaining faculty, staff and students were moved to the cafeteria, while the Arts Wing of the school was closed off. The building is separate from the main campus.
Officials said 14 people were taken to area hospitals for treatment of what was described as non-life threatening injuries.
School maintenance, HAZMAT and city officials are on the scene investigating. The source of the odor hasn’t been determined.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)