Woman Claims Hospital Postponed Friend’s Cancer Treatment Due To Football Game
CBS Charlotte (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSCharlotte.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSCharlotte.com/Health
Get Breaking News First
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (CBS Charlotte) — A woman’s cancer treatment was reportedly postponed due to University of North Carolina’s Thursday night football game.
Kathleen Keating, an elder-care specialist, tells the Charlotte Observer that UNC Health Care told her unnamed friend – who suffers from Stage 4 breast cancer – would not receive her radiation treatment because of the college football game.
“I think it’s criminal,” Keating told the Observer. “I like football, but it’s not even an equation you need to do in your head. Football versus cancer treatment? It’s just not a question.”
A spokeswoman for the hospital tells the Observer that most patients weren’t scheduled for late Thursday afternoon and that the woman’s rescheduling most likely had to deal with factors not related to the game.
“We’ve been planning quite in advance for the fact that we wouldn’t want our patients in a major traffic jam,” UNC Health Care spokeswoman Karen McCall said.
Keating called it wrong what the hospital did.
“The system should not be doing this to people with cancer,” Keating told the Observer.
UNC lost 27-23 to tenth-ranked Miami that night.
News From Our Music Stations
- Stars Who Look 20 But Are Really In Their 30's
- Meet The New Cast Of Dancing With The Stars
- Rick Ross Talks About New Album
- Sexiest Men In Country Music
- Top 10 Heart-stopping Ball Park Foods
- Top 10 Feel Good Country Songs
- Top 10 Texts Not To Send To Your Dream Girl
- What's Your Romantic Comedy Relationship Type?
- Top 10 Biggest Celebrity & Athlete Rants Of All Time
- Is Fasting Fabulous Or Just Another Diet Fad?
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them