CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (CBS Charlotte) — A woman’s cancer treatment was reportedly postponed due to University of North Carolina’s Thursday night football game.
Kathleen Keating, an elder-care specialist, tells the Charlotte Observer that UNC Health Care told her unnamed friend – who suffers from Stage 4 breast cancer – would not receive her radiation treatment because of the college football game.
“I think it’s criminal,” Keating told the Observer. “I like football, but it’s not even an equation you need to do in your head. Football versus cancer treatment? It’s just not a question.”
A spokeswoman for the hospital tells the Observer that most patients weren’t scheduled for late Thursday afternoon and that the woman’s rescheduling most likely had to deal with factors not related to the game.
“We’ve been planning quite in advance for the fact that we wouldn’t want our patients in a major traffic jam,” UNC Health Care spokeswoman Karen McCall said.
Keating called it wrong what the hospital did.
“The system should not be doing this to people with cancer,” Keating told the Observer.
UNC lost 27-23 to tenth-ranked Miami that night.
News From Our Music Stations
- The Truth About Dating Someone Who Has Kids
- 10 Ways You're Driving Him Away
- 5 Tips For Managing Your Holiday Budget
- Star Transformation: Ian Somerhalder
- Top 10 Highest Paid Celebrities Of 2013
- Celebrities Remember Paul Walker
- Hot & Sexy Bearded Celeb Men
- 10 Reasons Adam Levine Is The Sexiest Man Alive
- Michael Jordan: Team Will Use Same Colors As Old Hornets
- 5 Things You Should Never Purchase Online
- 5 Things You Spend Money On Then Never Use
- Top 10 Lessons We Can Learn From Our Dogs
- 5 Best Stadiums In The NFL
- Top Country Wedding Songs Of 2013
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them