RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The three nuclear power plants in North Carolina have each reported at least 90 safety violations since 2000.
The Government Accountability Office report obtained by The Associated Press shows that the McGuire plant near Charlotte reported 119 lower–level violations and one higher-level violation from 2000 to 2012. The Brunswick plant near Wilmington reported 93 lower-level violations and five high-level violations, while the Harris plant near Raleigh had 90 lower-level violations and four higher-level violations.
Lower-level violations pose very low risk, such as improper upkeep of a transformer, while higher-level violations range in significance, such as an electrical system that caused a fire.
The Associated Press obtained a copy of the report before its release.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Emergency Worker Charged After Recording Women In Bunk Of Fire Station
- Feds’ Site Gives States Incomplete Medicaid Data
- Couple Claims Mall Security Kicked Them Out For Wearing Christmas Costumes
- Man Charged With Killing 21-Year-Old NC Woman
- McDonald’s Employee Gives Couple Thousands Of Dollars Instead Of Food