NC’s 3 Nuke Plants Report More Than 90 Violations
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The three nuclear power plants in North Carolina have each reported at least 90 safety violations since 2000.
The Government Accountability Office report obtained by The Associated Press shows that the McGuire plant near Charlotte reported 119 lower–level violations and one higher-level violation from 2000 to 2012. The Brunswick plant near Wilmington reported 93 lower-level violations and five high-level violations, while the Harris plant near Raleigh had 90 lower-level violations and four higher-level violations.
Lower-level violations pose very low risk, such as improper upkeep of a transformer, while higher-level violations range in significance, such as an electrical system that caused a fire.
The Associated Press obtained a copy of the report before its release.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man Will Now Get Warning Instead Of $525 Fine For Not Paying $0.89 For Refill
- Men Walk In Heels To Raise Awareness Of Violence Against Women
- 63-Year-Old Woman Stabbed To Death In Concord
- Former Teacher Faces Charges In Connection With Illegal Photography Of Students
- Bill Banning Abortions Beyond 19 Weeks Stalls In South Carolina Senate