NEWTON, N.C. (AP) — A Caldwell County woman has been convicted of second-degree murder and aggravated serious injury by motor vehicle in a fatal wreck last year.
Thirty-seven-year-old April Cheri Childers of Granite Falls was convicted in Catawba County on Tuesday and sentenced to at least 14 years in prison. The maximum sentence is 18 years.
Prosecutors say 32-year-old Ashley Britt was killed in a wreck in April 2012 in Hickory.
Prosecutors say Childers was driving under the influence of controlled substances and crossed the center line, striking Britt’s vehicle.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Emergency Worker Charged After Recording Women In Bunk Of Fire Station
- Feds’ Site Gives States Incomplete Medicaid Data
- Sports Verdict: Should A One-Loss Team Be In The BCS Championship Game?
- QCB Unleashed: No Charges On Winston, UNC Big Win, & Tomlin’s Cha Cha Slide
- No Charges In Jameis Winston Sex Assault Case