Mom Upset Daughter Wasn’t Allowed To Write About God
MEMPHIS (CBS CHARLOTTE) – A mother is angry after her daughter wasn’t allowed to write about God for a school assignment.
According to WREG, Erca Shead says her 10-year-old daughter Erin, a student at Lucy Elementary in Memphis, Tenn., was told she couldn’t use God as an idol and had to pick another idol for the assignment.
“It was so cute and innocent. She talked about how God created the earth and how she’s doing the best she can,” Shead told WREG.
“But my teacher said I couldn’t write about God. She said It has something to do with God and God can’t be my idol,” said Shead about what her daughter told her.
Shead said her daughter wasn’t allowed to leave the assignment about God at school and that it must go home with her.
Instead of God, her daughter chose Michael Jackson as an idol and that was accepted.
The upset mother went to the principal of the school with her concerns Wednesday asking to be showed in the policy where it states her daughter can’t discuss God on paper.
“How can you tell this baby, that’s a Christian, what she can say and what she can’t say?” Shead added.
A school spokesman said teachers can’t promote religion, but there is not a policy preventing students from writing assignments about any God or religion.
It hasn’t been determined what form of action school officials will take since it looks as though the teacher is in the wrong.
Shead told WREG she is waiting to hear from the principal.
“I told the principal this morning, ‘Would it be better if she wrote about Ellen Degeneres?’ Of course there was no comment.”
News From Our Music Stations
- Stars Who Look 20 But Are Really In Their 30's
- Meet The New Cast Of Dancing With The Stars
- Rick Ross Talks About New Album
- Sexiest Men In Country Music
- Top 10 Heart-stopping Ball Park Foods
- Top 10 Feel Good Country Songs
- Top 10 Texts Not To Send To Your Dream Girl
- What's Your Romantic Comedy Relationship Type?
- Top 10 Biggest Celebrity & Athlete Rants Of All Time
- Is Fasting Fabulous Or Just Another Diet Fad?
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them