MEMPHIS (CBS CHARLOTTE) – A mother is angry after her daughter wasn’t allowed to write about God for a school assignment.
According to WREG, Erca Shead says her 10-year-old daughter Erin, a student at Lucy Elementary in Memphis, Tenn., was told she couldn’t use God as an idol and had to pick another idol for the assignment.
“It was so cute and innocent. She talked about how God created the earth and how she’s doing the best she can,” Shead told WREG.
“But my teacher said I couldn’t write about God. She said It has something to do with God and God can’t be my idol,” said Shead about what her daughter told her.
Shead said her daughter wasn’t allowed to leave the assignment about God at school and that it must go home with her.
Instead of God, her daughter chose Michael Jackson as an idol and that was accepted.
The upset mother went to the principal of the school with her concerns Wednesday asking to be showed in the policy where it states her daughter can’t discuss God on paper.
“How can you tell this baby, that’s a Christian, what she can say and what she can’t say?” Shead added.
A school spokesman said teachers can’t promote religion, but there is not a policy preventing students from writing assignments about any God or religion.
It hasn’t been determined what form of action school officials will take since it looks as though the teacher is in the wrong.
Shead told WREG she is waiting to hear from the principal.
“I told the principal this morning, ‘Would it be better if she wrote about Ellen Degeneres?’ Of course there was no comment.”
News From Our Music Stations
- The Truth About Dating Someone Who Has Kids
- 10 Ways You're Driving Him Away
- 5 Tips For Managing Your Holiday Budget
- Star Transformation: Ian Somerhalder
- Top 10 Highest Paid Celebrities Of 2013
- Celebrities Remember Paul Walker
- Hot & Sexy Bearded Celeb Men
- 10 Reasons Adam Levine Is The Sexiest Man Alive
- Michael Jordan: Team Will Use Same Colors As Old Hornets
- 5 Things You Should Never Purchase Online
- 5 Things You Spend Money On Then Never Use
- Top 10 Lessons We Can Learn From Our Dogs
- 5 Best Stadiums In The NFL
- Top Country Wedding Songs Of 2013
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them