North Carolina Zoo’s Polar Bear Dies
ASHEBORO, N.C. (AP) — Workers at the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro have found their polar bear dead in his den.
Zoo officials said 20-year-old Aquila was found around 7 a.m. Tuesday.
Tests indicated the bear’s stomach ruptured and his lungs collapsed.
Ken Reininger with the zoo said Aquila had appeared to be in good health Monday night when keepers left.
Aquila had returned earlier this year from a two-year stay at the Detroit Zoo while the North Carolina Zoo’s polar bear exhibit was expanded in an $8.5 million project.
The zoo lost its 21-year-old male gorilla Nik last week. Nik was euthanized after suffering an illness that has not been identified yet.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Man Will Now Get Warning Instead Of $525 Fine For Not Paying $0.89 For Refill
- Reactions and Thoughts On Jabari Parker Turning Pro
- The Charlotte Bobcats: Postseason Schedule & Excitement Around Team
- Atheist Group Files ‘Religious Coercion’ Complaint Against Clemson Football Program
- NBA Playoff Odds & Ends: NBA Championship & Conference Winners