Teen Dies Alone After Giving Birth In SC Dorm Room
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a 19-year-old Benedict College student bled to death after delivering a stillborn baby alone in her dorm room.
Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said the student was found dead Tuesday night, but the delivery likely happened about three days before.
Watts says the woman likely would have survived if she sought medical help, but he doesn’t know why she didn’t call 911.
The woman’s name has not been released. Watts says she is from California and lived by herself in a dorm. The coroner says she was about 32 weeks pregnant, and it appears the labor occurred naturally and was not induced.
Benedict College is a Baptist-affiliated school with about 3,200 students. Administrators released a statement asking for prayers for the student and her family.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- 3 Plead Guilty In Scheme To Defraud SC Air Base
- Steve Smith Refutes Ian Rapoport’s Report; Rips Gettleman, Coach Rivera
- Device Could Reprogram Your Brain To Eliminate Cravings
- Shane Carden: I Play With A Chip On My Shoulder And Always Will
- Mike Florio: Source Says Ravens Feared Derek Anderson More Than Cam