African-American Pastor Accused Of Racism Against Her Own Race
(CBS Charlotte) — An African-American pastor in Charlotte is being accused of racism, after she sent an email asking that only white members of the congregation stand in front of the church to greet newcomers.
The email was sent by Pastor Makeda Pennycooke of the Freedom House Church, and specifically asked volunteers of the church to only appear on the front steps if they were white.
(Related Article: Racism Is A Disease That Needs To Be Cured)
According to Pastor Pennycooke’s email, Fall is an extremely busy time at the church, and plenty of newcomers are expected to visit the Congregation over the course of the next few weeks. Therefore, Pennycooke opted to ask volunteers of the church who were white to come forward during this time, so that the church could give a good first impression to new visitors. In other words, the Pastor asked African-American members of the congregation not to participate in the greeting of newcomers as they approach the church.
Freedom House Church is known for being a diverse church — the kind of church that adequately represents the diversity of a city such as Charlotte. However, Pastor Pennycooke’s email signifies that racism and racial barriers still exist in our city — and that racism is perpetuated by members of the same race.
While Pastor Pennycooke did send out a second email, this time apologizing for the racist implication, for members of the congregation, the apology may not be enough to convince them to remain at a church which actively tries to divide its members.
-Nichole Jaworski, CBS Charlotte
News From Our Music Stations
- WATCH: Kids React To "Old-Fashioned" Technology
- Best Country Albums Of 2014 (So Far)
- 8 Things That Really Don't Impress Women
- Top 10 Bruce Springsteen Songs
- Outkast, Foster The People, More Headlining Counterpoint 2014
- Remembering Kevin Sharp
- Johnny Orr Releases New Single For Autism Awareness Month
- The Hottest Wedding Trends For 2014
- 60 Things You May Not Know About Prince
- Top 10 Reasons You Should Get Out Of A Relationship NOW!
- Top 10 Feel Good Country Songs
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them