(CBS Charlotte) — An African-American pastor in Charlotte is being accused of racism, after she sent an email asking that only white members of the congregation stand in front of the church to greet newcomers.
The email was sent by Pastor Makeda Pennycooke of the Freedom House Church, and specifically asked volunteers of the church to only appear on the front steps if they were white.
(Related Article: Racism Is A Disease That Needs To Be Cured)
According to Pastor Pennycooke’s email, Fall is an extremely busy time at the church, and plenty of newcomers are expected to visit the Congregation over the course of the next few weeks. Therefore, Pennycooke opted to ask volunteers of the church who were white to come forward during this time, so that the church could give a good first impression to new visitors. In other words, the Pastor asked African-American members of the congregation not to participate in the greeting of newcomers as they approach the church.
Freedom House Church is known for being a diverse church — the kind of church that adequately represents the diversity of a city such as Charlotte. However, Pastor Pennycooke’s email signifies that racism and racial barriers still exist in our city — and that racism is perpetuated by members of the same race.
While Pastor Pennycooke did send out a second email, this time apologizing for the racist implication, for members of the congregation, the apology may not be enough to convince them to remain at a church which actively tries to divide its members.
-Nichole Jaworski, CBS Charlotte
News From Our Music Stations
- The Truth About Dating Someone Who Has Kids
- 10 Ways You're Driving Him Away
- 5 Tips For Managing Your Holiday Budget
- Star Transformation: Ian Somerhalder
- Top 10 Highest Paid Celebrities Of 2013
- Celebrities Remember Paul Walker
- Hot & Sexy Bearded Celeb Men
- 10 Reasons Adam Levine Is The Sexiest Man Alive
- Michael Jordan: Team Will Use Same Colors As Old Hornets
- 5 Things You Should Never Purchase Online
- 5 Things You Spend Money On Then Never Use
- Top 10 Lessons We Can Learn From Our Dogs
- 5 Best Stadiums In The NFL
- Top Country Wedding Songs Of 2013
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them