CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte Bobcats center Brendan Haywood is giving backpacks and school supplies to 100 children at a homeless shelter.
The basketball team says Haywood will be at the Salvation Army’s Center of Hope on Sunday afternoon.
A donation will be made toward bus fare for those at the shelter. About 200 families expected to attend the event will receive free snacks and beverages.
The Salvation Army of Greater Charlotte says the Center of Hope for women and children is Charlotte’s only around-the-clock, year-round emergency shelter. More than 150 school children daily call it their temporary home.
In 2011, more than 5,710 people were admitted to the shelter. They included five women over the age of 85 and 27 newborns who arrived directly from a hospital.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Union County Inmate Found Dead In His Cell
- Man Shot To Death While Driving In Salisbury
- Mayor Of Columbia’s Brother-In-Law Killed In Charlotte
- SC Sheriff Refuses To Honor Mandela Because He Was “Not American”
- The Truth About Dating Someone Who Has Kids
- GRAMMY Nominations Behind the Scenes: Lorde Takes a Bow, Arsenio Fires Back at Kanye
- Raleigh Police To Go Christmas Shopping With Kids
- 25-Year-Old Hickory Woman Accused Of Viewing Porn With Kids
- Man Charged With Killing His Wife
- Defensive Coordinator Arrested For Possession Of Marijuana