Bobcats Center Giving Backpacks To Homeless
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte Bobcats center Brendan Haywood is giving backpacks and school supplies to 100 children at a homeless shelter.
The basketball team says Haywood will be at the Salvation Army’s Center of Hope on Sunday afternoon.
A donation will be made toward bus fare for those at the shelter. About 200 families expected to attend the event will receive free snacks and beverages.
The Salvation Army of Greater Charlotte says the Center of Hope for women and children is Charlotte’s only around-the-clock, year-round emergency shelter. More than 150 school children daily call it their temporary home.
In 2011, more than 5,710 people were admitted to the shelter. They included five women over the age of 85 and 27 newborns who arrived directly from a hospital.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Suspect In Fatal Charlotte Shooting Dies In Jail
- Sheriff: Man Drove Burning Truck Into Building
- Thursday Night Football Poll: San Diego Chargers At Denver Broncos
- Former Panther Flashback: Kevin Greene
- UNC: Wainstein Report To Be Released Wednesday
- High School Students Claim Play Canceled Due To Gay Scene Between 2 Male Characters
- Playoff Pinch Hits: Giants’ World Series Win Won’t Make Them A Dynasty
- Team Grades: Panthers Fail In Almost Every Department In Blowout Loss To Packers
- Authorities Look For SC Prison Escapee In Shelby
- NC Teen Shot In Head By Rifle In Pickup