Bobcats Center Giving Backpacks To Homeless
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte Bobcats center Brendan Haywood is giving backpacks and school supplies to 100 children at a homeless shelter.
The basketball team says Haywood will be at the Salvation Army’s Center of Hope on Sunday afternoon.
A donation will be made toward bus fare for those at the shelter. About 200 families expected to attend the event will receive free snacks and beverages.
The Salvation Army of Greater Charlotte says the Center of Hope for women and children is Charlotte’s only around-the-clock, year-round emergency shelter. More than 150 school children daily call it their temporary home.
In 2011, more than 5,710 people were admitted to the shelter. They included five women over the age of 85 and 27 newborns who arrived directly from a hospital.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Tillis Camp Says Romney To Campaign For Him In NC
- 5 Things You Missed: 2014 World Series, Game 2
- 5 Things To Watch With New & Improved Charlotte Hornets 2014-15 Season
- Panthers’ Newton Stays Positive Amid Obstacles
- 5 Things To Watch In ACC: GT-Pitt Game Headlines Week #9
- Playoff Pinch Hits: Royals Even Up World Series; Giants Not Worried
- Majority Of Employees Still Showing Up To Work While Sick
- General Motors 3Q Profit Nearly Doubles
- Man Faced With Murder Charges After Girlfriend Found Dead In Home
- Woman Admits Lying To Cops When FBI Agent Was Shot