Bobcats Center Giving Backpacks To Homeless
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte Bobcats center Brendan Haywood is giving backpacks and school supplies to 100 children at a homeless shelter.
The basketball team says Haywood will be at the Salvation Army’s Center of Hope on Sunday afternoon.
A donation will be made toward bus fare for those at the shelter. About 200 families expected to attend the event will receive free snacks and beverages.
The Salvation Army of Greater Charlotte says the Center of Hope for women and children is Charlotte’s only around-the-clock, year-round emergency shelter. More than 150 school children daily call it their temporary home.
In 2011, more than 5,710 people were admitted to the shelter. They included five women over the age of 85 and 27 newborns who arrived directly from a hospital.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Ex-Greenville Police Officer Accused Of Tampering with Evidence, Obstructing Justice
- Top 5 NBA Playoff Moments
- NC State’s Dave Doeren on Growing From Year One and His New Quarterback
- Rich Cho on the Bobcats and the ‘Pleasant Surprise’ of Big Al
- Ford To Offer 50th Anniversary Mustang
- Chevrolet Bringing Tiny Trax SUV To US And China
- Toyota Camry Gets A Top-To-Bottom Makeover
- Bar Bans ‘Blurred Lines’ After UNC Student Complained Song Promoted Rape Culture
- The 2015 ACM Awards in Texas Are Already Sold Out
- Colbert To Visit Future Home Of CBS’ ‘Late Show’