Bobcats Center Giving Backpacks To Homeless
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte Bobcats center Brendan Haywood is giving backpacks and school supplies to 100 children at a homeless shelter.
The basketball team says Haywood will be at the Salvation Army’s Center of Hope on Sunday afternoon.
A donation will be made toward bus fare for those at the shelter. About 200 families expected to attend the event will receive free snacks and beverages.
The Salvation Army of Greater Charlotte says the Center of Hope for women and children is Charlotte’s only around-the-clock, year-round emergency shelter. More than 150 school children daily call it their temporary home.
In 2011, more than 5,710 people were admitted to the shelter. They included five women over the age of 85 and 27 newborns who arrived directly from a hospital.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Pregnant SC Woman Drives Minivan Carrying 3 Children Into Ocean In FL
- Judge: Duke Must Clean Up Groundwater At Ash Dumps
- SC Bill Would Repeal ‘Stand Your Ground’ Law
- General Admits Guilt On 3 Counts; Denies Assault
- 3 More People Die Of The Flu In NC
- QCB Unleashed: Bears’ Hester Cut & 49ers Harbough Dresses Same All The Time!
- UNC-Duke Tickets Easily The Most Expensive Game Of Rivalry Week
- Lindsay Lohan To Guest Star On ‘2 Broke Girls’ Next Month
- Fantasy Baseball Preview: Third Base
- Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, George Strait, More Among to Perform at 2014 ACM Awards