Bobcats Center Giving Backpacks To Homeless
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte Bobcats center Brendan Haywood is giving backpacks and school supplies to 100 children at a homeless shelter.
The basketball team says Haywood will be at the Salvation Army’s Center of Hope on Sunday afternoon.
A donation will be made toward bus fare for those at the shelter. About 200 families expected to attend the event will receive free snacks and beverages.
The Salvation Army of Greater Charlotte says the Center of Hope for women and children is Charlotte’s only around-the-clock, year-round emergency shelter. More than 150 school children daily call it their temporary home.
In 2011, more than 5,710 people were admitted to the shelter. They included five women over the age of 85 and 27 newborns who arrived directly from a hospital.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- President Of Law School Resigns Days After Starting Job
- CBS Sports’ Tony Gonzalez Talks Broncos vs. Dolphins
- Troy Polamalu; Weatherman? And Mario Williams Comes To Jim Kelly’s Rescue
- Ex-Fire Department Chief Charged With Embezzlement
- WWE Legend Mick Foley: Limpin’ Ain’t Easy
- Keidel: Manny Pacquiao Takes On Chris Algieri In Macau
- Greg Cosell: Panthers Bye Week & NFL QBs Struggling
- Steve Clifford: Hairston Has Starters Talent And Is Very Coachable
- Metallica Unleash ‘Enter Sandman’ On Fourth Night Of ‘Late Late Show’ Residency: Watch
- With Panthers Bye Week, It’s A Chance To Enjoy A Sunday For Once