Good And The Bad From Preseason Week Two
Buy Panthers Tickets
Ok, so I admit it should probably be called the Bad and the Good since there was alot more to criticize than to praise. But, most importantly, here are my thoughts on Panthers-Eagles…..CLICK HERE to see pictures from the game.
1) Blocking- Between the Oline and Backs on blitz pickup, the blocking was often lacking last night. Gary Williams, Byron Bell, Jordan Gross and Dengelo Williams all got in on the act. Run Blocking and Pass Blocking both had some lowlights. Gettleman needs to get Travelle Wharton on line one.
2) Cam- I love Cam and believe in him, but he struggled last night. Some had to do with protection. Other times he looked tentative to run and forced a bad pass. But, there were too many inaccurate passes.
3) Didn’t FInish Drives- They went without a TD for the first time in a preseason game since the horrendous 2010 season. The first team offense has one TD in eight preseason drives and that one covered only 18 yards.
4) ) D-Line- I give these guys a bit of a pass because of Chip Kelly’s outside the box , fast paced scheme. But, they got gashed on the ground and got very little pressure on Foles and Vick. As a result, those two were 15-18 in the first half.
5) Tackling- I know Shady McCoy is sick, but he was making our guys look silly. TD and Drayton Florence are still trying to find their jock straps.
1) David Gettis- This dude needs a promotion. He caught 5 passes for 82 yards in his second straight good game. I want to see him work with Cam next week in Baltimore.
2) Josh Norman- Picked a pass late in the first. Made a nice hit on a play in the flat. But, he also didn’t get to play with the ones. I feel like he has earned that right.
3) No injuries- Chase Blackburn is ok after a scare. And, there seem to be no major injuries coming out of this game.
4) Forced Turnovers- Many defenses in football history have made up for giving up yards, by forcing TOs. The Saints did it in their Super Bowl year. Maybe this team can do the same. The have forced 5 in two games after making it a point of emphasis in camp.