Judge Rules Boy’s Name Must Be Changed From Messiah To Martin
NEWPORT, Tenn. (AP) — A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy’s name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and “that one person is Jesus Christ.”
Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV. The boy’s parents were in court because they could not agree on the child’s last name, but when the judge heard the boy’s first name, she ordered it changed, too.
“It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is,” Ballew said.
It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.
Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration’s annual list of popular baby names.
The judge in eastern Tennessee said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents’ last name.
The boy’s mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy’s two siblings — Micah and Mason.
“Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else,” Martin said.
Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.
“The word Messiah is a title and it’s a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ,” the judge said.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Other Posts You May Like:
- Love It, LIKE IT, Win It! Drive Away In A 2015 Chrysler 200!
- Top 8 Relationship Myths About Men
- How Americans Speak English Differently
- 8 Most Entertaining NFL Players To Follow On Twitter
- Top 10 Unspoken Rules Of Living In The South
- Top 10 Social Media Do's And Don'ts When In A Relationship
- Top 15 Country Music Albums of 2014
- 10 Ways Life Would Be Better If Kids Ruled The World
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them