Reporting Chris “Mac” McClain
It is that time again boys and girls. The Panthers start the preseason Friday night at home against the Bears. Some starters won’t play and the ones that do won’t play long. But, we will watch very closely for any signs of what is to come in the regular season. Here’s the Top 5 things I want to see on Friday night.
1) No injuries- It goes without saying, but the most important thing of any preseason game is to get your reps in and get out without any serious injuries. So, far the Cats haven’t had any season ending injuries like many other teams have experienced. That sound you hear is me knocking on wood.
2) Armanti Edwards– After Ron Rivera told the Observer’s Tom Sorensen that Edwards is the MVP of camp, he is truly the player I want to see the most. Has he really gotten it? Best case scenario is that he is a nice slot receiver moving forward. Worst case is he is the regular season Armanti that has frustrated us so. For now, I say Panther Nation should serenade him with chants of “MVP” on Friday night.
3) Star- Does this big fella draw doubles teams and let Luke run free? Does he get into the backfield and disrupt? Do they use him at all on 3rd downs? S o, many questions and we will start to get our answers on Friday night.
4) Right Guard- Seems like Rivera wants Garry Williams to win this gig. Pro Football Focus had him rated as a much better run blocker than Geoff Hangartner. The run game is the key this offense. I want to see him do some road grading on Friday.
5) Secondary- This much maligned unit will be under the microscope all year. I can’t wait to look at these guys individually. How does the vet Drayton Florence look? Is Mike Mitchell worth all the hype? And, does Josh Norman start to get it? For these answers and many more, pay close attention to the Cats on Friday.