Charlotte Going Slow On Response To Airport Bill
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Officials in Charlotte are examining a full range of options after the N.C. General Assembly voted on new legislation to establish an airport authority, the city manager said Friday.
City Manager Ron Carlee said in a statement the new bill passed by the state House and Senate early Friday is extremely complex. As a result, he said the city won’t make any rash judgments, and added it would be premature to discuss any options or recommendations he would make to the mayor and city council.
Carlee also criticized the General Assembly for its tactics.
“What we have seen this year is that the General Assembly unilaterally and with no consultation with local government has come in and literally picked off one of the most important parts of Charlotte government and make it a separate part of government,” he said. “What other people need to realize is that it could happen anywhere, There was no evidence that there was a problem that needed to be solved.”
The state House and Senate voted early Friday to restore Charlotte Douglas International Airport to the city’s ownership but give day-to-day operations to a new commission. Carlee called it “a hastily crafted piece of legislation” and a move he expected.
Republican lawmakers last week transferred the airport to a regional authority. A judge blocked the move hours later in response to a city lawsuit.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Weekend Warriors-Duke Bounces Back
- Phillies Hope To Find Room For Darin Ruf’s Powerful Bat
- Mom Who Drove Kids Into Ocean Faces Charges
- W.Va. Gun Bill Heads To Gov; Mayor Critical
- Woman Facing Charges After 2-Year Old Dies From Dumbbell Strike
- 360,000 Remain Without Power In North Carolina
- Report: Drones Have Wide Government Uses In North Carolina
- Arm Wrestling Event Supports Transgender SC Youth
- Zack Wheeler Could Become Mets’ Ace For 2014 Season
- Missing Md. Girl Found In SC; Father Charged With Murder