COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Richland County sheriff’s deputies say a bystander holding his 3-year-old child was shot and killed at a Columbia apartment complex.
Deputies say the child was not injured in the shooting about 9 p.m. Wednesday.
The man was hit in the upper body and died at the scene. His name has not been released.
Sheriff’s spokesman Curtis Wilson said it appears the shooting occurred after an altercation between two groups that began Wednesday afternoon.
Wilson says the man does not appear to have been involved in the dispute and was standing in the parking lot holding the child when he was shot.
No arrests have been made.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Guardsman Accused Of Army Identity Theft
- NC Police Chief: Teen Shot Himself In Patrol Car
- NC Legislator Arrested On Felony Tax Charges
- Jets & Panthers Capsule: Stats, Facts, & Notes About Week 15 Game
- Top 10 Of 2013: Best (And Worst) In Sports!
- NC Teachers Group Sues Over Private School Grants
- GRAMMY Gourmet: Josh Homme On His Kinship With Anthony Bourdain
- Mike Florio: Panthers Still Have A Great Chance To Get Two Seed
- Kanye Rails Against the GRAMMYs Over His Lack of Nominations, Again
- James Brown: Coach Cowher Has Mentioned What A Great Job Rivera Is Doing