NC Woman Charged In Toddler’s Hit-And-Run Death
MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. (AP) — A warrant has been issued for a Mount Olive woman accused of hitting and killing a toddler with her car in May and leaving the scene of the accident.
The N.C. Highway Patrol said Monday that 49-year-old Michelle Merritt of is charged with misdemeanor hit and run for the accident that killed 21-month-old Ismael Aleman. Her status wasn’t immediately known.
The patrol said Ismael was killed when he ran out into a road in front of his Duplin County home. Troopers said Merritt didn’t stop for the accident, although she said she stopped later to check her car for damage and continued driving after she didn’t see any.
A warrant also has been issued for the boy’s mother, Delmi Garcia. She’s charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Atheist Group Files ‘Religious Coercion’ Complaint Against Clemson Football Program
- NBA Playoff Odds & Ends: NBA Championship & Conference Winners
- Duke Freshman Jabari Parker Declares For NBA Draft
- Men Walk In Heels To Raise Awareness Of Violence Against Women
- Steve Clifford: We Can’t Just Be Satisfied By Making The Playoffs