Duke Energy, NC To Settle Coal Ash Lawsuit
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Duke Energy and North Carolina environmental regulators have proposed a settlement in a lawsuit that said coal ash at a power plant threatens Charlotte’s water supply.
The settlement calls for Duke to assess the sources and extent of contamination at the Riverbend power plant and also at a power plant in Asheville.
The settlement will be open for public comment for a month.
Duke would be fined $90,000 if the settlement is approved.
Jamie Kritzer with the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources Department says the settlement allows regulators to determine the extent of contamination before a plan is developed.
The Southern Environmental Law Center says the settlement does not go far enough, saying it allows more study on a problem that has been known for years.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
News From Our Music Stations
- Johnny Orr Releases New Single For Autism Awareness Month
- The Hottest Wedding Trends For 2014
- Which Is Worse: Pot Or Pop?
- Top 10 Upcoming Films
- The Greatest Game Shows Of All Time
- Top 10 Reasons You Should Get Out Of A Relationship NOW!
- Top 10 Feel Good Country Songs
- Top 10 Texts Not To Send To Your Dream Girl
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them