Boone Officials Say Heater Replaced Without Permit
BOONE, N.C. (AP) — A Boone inspector says a motel pool heater that leaked carbon monoxide and killed a Washington state couple and later a South Carolina boy was installed without the knowledge of the town’s inspection department.
Todd Miller with the Boone Planning and Inspections Department says the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza never told the city about the new heater. Miller says the motel did not apply for a required permit for the change.
Officials say carbon monoxide poisoning killed 73-year-old Daryl Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Jenkins of Longview, Wash., on April 16. They were staying in a room directly over the pool’s maintenance room.
Eleven-year-old Jeffrey Lee Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died in the same room June 8.
An attorney for the motel did not respond to a message.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Investigation Exposed ‘Shadow Curriculum’ Run Within UNC’s Former African And Afro-American Studies Dept.
- 8 Fast Facts About The UNC Academic Fraud Scandal
- ‘The Late Late Show With James Corden’ Will Premiere March 9, 2015
- Brian Jones: I Don’t See SEC Getting Two Teams In The Playoffs
- Tillis Camp Says Romney To Campaign For Him In NC
- 5 Things You Missed: 2014 World Series, Game 2
- 5 Things To Watch With New & Improved Charlotte Hornets 2014-15 Season
- Panthers’ Newton Stays Positive Amid Obstacles
- 5 Things To Watch In ACC: GT-Pitt Game Headlines Week #9
- Playoff Pinch Hits: Royals Even Up World Series; Giants Not Worried