Boone Medical Examiner Steps Down After Hotel Deaths
June 14, 2013 7:22 PM
(CBS Charlotte) — The medical examiner who preformed autopsies on three people who died in the same hotel room in Boone, North Carolina has resigned.
According to WBTV, the North Carolina Department of Heath and Human Services confirmed that the Boone medical examiner, Dr. Brent Hall, has stepped down from his position.
Nearly two weeks before the third victim died, an 11-year-old from Rock Hill, South Carolina, autopsy reports indicated that an elderly couple who died in the same hotel room two months ago, had in fact died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The autopsy results of the elderly couple were not handed over to local law officials — until several days after the boy’s death.
It is not known at this time if the Best Western in Boone was made aware of the elderly couple’s autopsy results before the boy died in the same room.
The boy, Jeffrey Williams, had more than 60 percent of carbon monoxide in his bloodstream at the time of death.
Earlier this week, health officials traced the carbon monoxide leak back to a faulty pool water heater, directly below hotel room 225.
-Nichole Jaworski, CBS Charlotte