3rd Death Reported From NC Storm
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A third person has died after the powerful thunderstorms that swept across North Carolina, knocking out power to tens of thousands of people.
Orange County officials say a woman died after she was hit by a falling tree in downtown Chapel Hill around 5:15 p.m. Thursday.
Emergency Medical Services Director Jim Groves says another person pulled the 20-year-old woman from beneath the tree but she was unresponsive. She was pronounced dead at UNC Hospitals.
Her name has not been released.
Two Wilkes County residents died earlier Thursday. A volunteer firefighter was electrocuted at a small fire and a 77-year-old man died when a tree fell on him.
Utility crews are working to restore service to thousands of people in western and central North Carolina.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- NFL Power Rankings
- Mac’s College Football Week 4 Top Poll
- T-Bone’s Week 4 College Football Top 20 Poll
- 5 Horrid Jets Mistakes In Loss To Green Bay
- Panthers Unsure If Hardy Will Play vs. Steelers
- Who Gets The Game Ball For The Panthers In Sunday’s Win?
- Judge: Sanfords To Mediate Over Parenting Issues
- CDC: US Children Consume Too Much Salt
- Team Grades: Cam Newton’s Return Sparks Panthers Rout Of Lions
- Panthers D Causes Havoc Without Hardy In 24-7 Win