What You Need To Know About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
CBS Charlotte (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSCharlotte.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSCharlotte.com/Health
Get Breaking News First
(CBS Charlotte) — In light of three deaths over the last couple of months at the Best Western Hotel in Boone, North Carolina, we felt it was important to highlight the hidden dangers of carbon monoxide — and its sources.
For starters, North Carolina law does not require hotels to have carbon monoxide detectors. If the Best Western had installed carbon monoxide detectors, all three deaths would have likely been prevented.
The biggest danger associated with carbon monoxide is that unlike a fire, you cannot see or smell CO. It is colorless and odorless. However, moderate exposure to CO can have damaging effects on your health, and in some cases, can even cause death.
According to the Center For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC,) nearly 400 Americans die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide poisoning most often occurs when there is a CO leak that is trapped in a poorly ventilated area. In a CO environment, a person’s body is unable to acquire enough oxygen — and the lack of oxygen may trigger headaches, confusion, lethargy, blurred vision, and vomiting.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can come from many different sources, including but not limited to, gas stoves/fireplaces, gas water heaters, charcoal grills, tobacco smoke, generators, and automobiles.
Here are ways to reduce your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- First and foremost, buy a carbon monoxide detector and install it in your home immediately. After all, a carbon monoxide detector can save your life.
- Never use a charcoal grill inside your home. Additionally, when grilling outdoors, the grill should be far enough away from your house so that carbon monoxide does not leak inside.
- Never use a generator indoors.
- When not in use, turn the pilot light off in your gas fireplace.
- Never leave your car running inside your garage, even if the garage door is open.
- Have all of your gas appliances and gas water-heater/fireplace inspected on a regular basis.
-Nichole Jaworski, CBS Charlotte
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Keidel: Dallas Cowboys… America’s Team Or Just A Dream?
- Peyton Manning Is Particular, Andrew Hawkins Is Funny And Aaron Craft Is A Bear?
- Deputy Kills Man At Sonic Fast-Food Restaurant
- Injury Report: Panthers Hurting Badly With Super Bowl Champs Coming To Town
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- 6 Things That Mark On Peyton’s Forehead Resembles
- Ebola Scare Grounds Plane In Columbia After Passenger Reports Nosebleed
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About WWE Legend Chris Jericho
- Armstrong Barred From South Carolina Ride
- SC: Couple Can’t Bring Same-Sex Federal Lawsuit