(CBS Charlotte) — Less than a month ago, a bomb threat was reported at the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life fundraiser — held in Iredell County.
The threat was reported by a teenage girl who gave fake accounts of the bomb threat to officers.
Initially, the Statesville teen told officers that she had overheard other students talking about the bomb, and also gave police the names of possible suspects.
However, police investigating the case learned that both the bomb threat and the suspects were falsely reported, and the 16-year-old girl made up the entire incident.
Police arrested the teenager on Monday and charged her with falsely reporting a bomb. She has since been released back to her parents.
-Nichole Jaworski, CBS Charlotte
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Hornets Brand Identity To Be Officially Unveiled At “Buzz City Night” Dec. 21st
- GM Names Mary Barra As CEO
- Spirits Higher For NY Jets After Ending Skid; #1 & #2 Run Defenses Face Off
- Air Force Base Takes Down Nativity Scene Following Complaint
- MMQB’s Andy Benoit: Newton Has Chance To Be One Of Best Ever
- Steve Clifford On The Season And His Relationship With Ron Rivera
- College Football Spotlight: It May Be Hard To Admit, But The BCS Got It Right
- Former Sheriff Facing 122 Charges
- Business Of The Week: Ohana Salon And Spa
- Behind the Scenes at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show with Taylor Swift