(CBS Charlotte) — Police and fire crews were dispatched to Carrigan Farms in Iredell County this afternoon, amid reports of a drowning.
Five people were believed to be swimming in a quarry when a teenage boy went under water — and did not resurface.
Nearly an hour and a half after emergency crews were dispatched, rescuers recovered the body of the teen — 25 feet below the surface.
The teen has been identified as 19-year-old Ryan Hayes. Hayes was a student at N.C. State University. It is not immediately clear what caused the drowning.
-Nichole Jaworski, CBS Charlotte
(This story is still developing. Stay with CBS Charlotte for updates as they become available.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Emergency Worker Charged After Recording Women In Bunk Of Fire Station
- Feds’ Site Gives States Incomplete Medicaid Data
- Sports Verdict: Should A One-Loss Team Be In The BCS Championship Game?
- QCB Unleashed: No Charges On Winston, UNC Big Win, & Tomlin’s Cha Cha Slide
- No Charges In Jameis Winston Sex Assault Case
- Statistics Show Alamance Deputies Profile Latinos
- Couple Claims Mall Security Kicked Them Out For Wearing Christmas Costumes
- Anthony Boone: People Have Doubted Us All Year, It Doesn’t Bother Me
- Bobby Hebert: Saints Hard-Pressed To Win If Cam Plays Well
- Heisman Watch: Fresno State’s Derek Carr Gets One Last Chance