Former ECSU Dorm Security Officer Sentenced
ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (AP) — A former dorm security officer at Elizabeth City State University must serve 34 days in jail after being convicted of sexual assault in a case that caused the school’s chancellor and police chief to leave.
Anthony Butler, 29, was sentenced Monday. In addition to jail time, he also must pay a $500 fine. Another 150 days in jail was suspended.
Butler was convicted of two counts of sexual battery, two counts of breaking and entering and one count of sexual assault.
The female student testified that campus police didn’t investigate her complaint and college administrators pressured her to drop it. She testified that Butler came to her room in February, March and April and tried to force her to have sex.
Butler, acting as his own attorney, asked her, “Why didn’t you put up a fight?”
“I did put up a fight,” she answered.
Campus police Officer April Ashmon testified that she told the woman to report the charges to the Elizabeth City Police Department when she realized that the campus police department wasn’t going to investigate. The State Bureau of Investigation is now looking into the school’s reporting of campus crime.
City officers arrested Butler in April. Last month, Chancellor Willie Gilchrist said he would retire, and campus police Chief Sam Beamon resigned.
William Smith, vice chancellor of institutional advancement, said ECSU would have no comment on Butler’s conviction. Asked to respond to the woman’s testimony about the pressure to drop the case, Smith said the school has shown recently that it’s committed to campus safety. ‘
“The university is taking steps to correct the problems identified and ensure that our faculty, staff, and students can work and study in a safe environment,” Smith said.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Two Dead In Shooting At Nightclub
- Skating Rink Opens In Columbia On Thanksgiving
- Social Workers Admit To Scamming Medicaid Out Of $5 Million
- Keidel: Giving Thanks For Sports
- Bears-Lions Fantasy Starters: Matt Forte, Matthew Stafford, And Calvin Johnson
- CBS Sports Talks Lions Vs. Bears On Thanksgiving Day
- CBS Announces Special Editions Of ‘The Late Late Show’
- Heisman Watch: Mariota And Gordon Leading The Race Down Final Stretch
- Thursday Football Breakdown: Chicago Bears At Detroit Lions
- Mother Charged After Daughter Falls, Dies In Tub