20601A-WFNZ-the-fan-Final2 35h_CBSSportsRad_1660AM

News Home

Elderly Couple, Rock Hill Boy Died From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Hotel Room

View Comments
File photo of doctor. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

File photo of doctor. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

(CBS Charlotte) — A mother and her son were found unresponsive on Saturday afternoon at a hotel in Boone, North Carolina.

Medics were dispatched to the Best Western on East King Street shortly after noon, where the mom and son were found in their room. The boy, an 11-year-old from Rock Hill, was pronounced dead by Medics at the scene. His mother was transported to a hospital in Boone, and is listed in stable condition.

The boy has been identified as Jeffrey Williams.

Nearly two months ago, an elderly couple died in the same Best Western hotel room. Yesterday, officials in Boone said they had no reason to believe that the deaths were related.

However, WCNC reported that Health officials in Watagua County found carbon monoxide in the room after Jeffrey Williams died on Saturday. Further information reveals that the Best Western was ordered by health officials to repair issues with their ventilation system before the elderly couple died in the same room.

Earlier this evening, police in Boone held a press conference where they discussed the elderly couples toxicology tests — which showed that they had died from carbon monoxide poisoning. During the press conference, police also announced that Jeffrey Williams died from lack of oxygen, also caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.

It was not immediately clear if the Best Western had made any improvements to their ventilation system, but the hotel remains closed as the investigation continues.

-Nichole Jaworski, CBS Charlotte

Trending on CBS Charlotte:

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 15,179 other followers