CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Gov. Pat McCrory and other Republican Party leaders are in North Carolina’s largest city this weekend for the state GOP convention.
McCrory is expected to address convention-goers Saturday afternoon in Charlotte.
So is House Speaker Thom Tillis, who is slated to give his first high-profile speech since he announced less than two weeks ago that he’ll run for the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Democrat Kay Hagan. Tillis is a four-term legislator from suburban Charlotte who has led the House since 2011.
Physician Greg Brannon of Cary is the only other publicly announced GOP in the Senate race.
The GOP will elect a new state chairman during the election — it’s expected to be former Wake County party leader Claude Pope, who’s been endorsed by McCrory.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Trending on CBS Charlotte:
- Sports Verdict: Should A One-Loss Team Be In The BCS Championship Game?
- QCB Unleashed: No Charges On Winston, UNC Big Win, & Tomlin’s Cha Cha Slide
- No Charges In Jameis Winston Sex Assault Case
- Statistics Show Alamance Deputies Profile Latinos
- Couple Claims Mall Security Kicked Them Out For Wearing Christmas Costumes