CHARLOTTE (CBS Charlotte) — A North Carolina couple traveled to Hawaii in order to bring their baby into the world in a dolphin-assisted birth.
The Charlotte Observer reports Adam and Heather Barrington are staying with Star Newland, founder of The Sirius Institute, in Pohoa. According to the institute’s website, it is “dedicated to the creation of human/dolphin co-creative habitats where dolphins and people can learn from each other through music, underwater birth, dolphin sound healing and restoration.”
“It is about reconnecting as humans with the dolphins so we can coexist in this world together and learn from one another,” Heather Barrington told the Observer. “Having that connection with the pod of dolphins anytime – even if the birth doesn’t happen in the water – still brings peace, comfort and strength to the mother and baby during labor.”
The Barringtons have been prepping for an underwater birth by taking prenatal swims with dolphins.
“Dolphins are very intelligent and healing which in turn calms mother and baby for the whole process,” Heather Barrington said.
Medical Daily reports that many scientists have dismissed dolphin-assisted therapy. Studies have also shown that dolphins have been known to become aggressive toward people.
Despite the lack of science behind a dolphin-assisted birth, the Barringtons are looking forward to the unorthodox birth.
“It’s total relaxation for the mother,” Adam Barrington told the Observer.
The baby is expected to be due in July.
News From Our Music Stations
- The Truth About Dating Someone Who Has Kids
- 10 Ways You're Driving Him Away
- 5 Tips For Managing Your Holiday Budget
- Star Transformation: Ian Somerhalder
- Top 10 Highest Paid Celebrities Of 2013
- Celebrities Remember Paul Walker
- Hot & Sexy Bearded Celeb Men
- 10 Reasons Adam Levine Is The Sexiest Man Alive
- Michael Jordan: Team Will Use Same Colors As Old Hornets
- 5 Things You Should Never Purchase Online
- 5 Things You Spend Money On Then Never Use
- Top 10 Lessons We Can Learn From Our Dogs
- 5 Best Stadiums In The NFL
- Top Country Wedding Songs Of 2013
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them