Couple Plans To Deliver Baby In Dolphin-Assisted Birth
CHARLOTTE (CBS Charlotte) — A North Carolina couple traveled to Hawaii in order to bring their baby into the world in a dolphin-assisted birth.
The Charlotte Observer reports Adam and Heather Barrington are staying with Star Newland, founder of The Sirius Institute, in Pohoa. According to the institute’s website, it is “dedicated to the creation of human/dolphin co-creative habitats where dolphins and people can learn from each other through music, underwater birth, dolphin sound healing and restoration.”
“It is about reconnecting as humans with the dolphins so we can coexist in this world together and learn from one another,” Heather Barrington told the Observer. “Having that connection with the pod of dolphins anytime – even if the birth doesn’t happen in the water – still brings peace, comfort and strength to the mother and baby during labor.”
The Barringtons have been prepping for an underwater birth by taking prenatal swims with dolphins.
“Dolphins are very intelligent and healing which in turn calms mother and baby for the whole process,” Heather Barrington said.
Medical Daily reports that many scientists have dismissed dolphin-assisted therapy. Studies have also shown that dolphins have been known to become aggressive toward people.
Despite the lack of science behind a dolphin-assisted birth, the Barringtons are looking forward to the unorthodox birth.
“It’s total relaxation for the mother,” Adam Barrington told the Observer.
The baby is expected to be due in July.
News From Our Music Stations
- WATCH: Kids React To "Old-Fashioned" Technology
- Best Country Albums Of 2014 (So Far)
- 8 Things That Really Don't Impress Women
- Top 10 Bruce Springsteen Songs
- Outkast, Foster The People, More Headlining Counterpoint 2014
- Remembering Kevin Sharp
- Johnny Orr Releases New Single For Autism Awareness Month
- The Hottest Wedding Trends For 2014
- 60 Things You May Not Know About Prince
- Top 10 Reasons You Should Get Out Of A Relationship NOW!
- Top 10 Feel Good Country Songs
- 20 Things Men & Women Wish Their Significant Other Knew About Them