News Home

Authorities: UNC Student’s Death Result Of Huffing Cleaning Spray

View Comments
File photo of aerosol cleaning sprays. (credit: CHRISTOPHE VERHAEGEN/AFP/Getty Images)

File photo of aerosol cleaning sprays. (credit: CHRISTOPHE VERHAEGEN/AFP/Getty Images)

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — An autopsy shows a University of North Carolina Chapel Hill student died earlier this year after inhaling computer cleaning spray.

Chapel Hill police found 22-year-old Stedman English Gage of Wilmington unresponsive in his off-campus home on Feb. 22.

The autopsy was released Wednesday. It shows that emergency responders found a can of aerosol computer cleaning spray in the bed and several empty cans in the room.

Dr. Samuel Simmons with the North Carolina Medical Examiner’s Office in Raleigh said Gage also had signs of cardiovascular disease, which would have made him more susceptible to the spray.

The death has been ruled an accident.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 15,215 other followers