Greatest Moments In Charlotte Sports History
In honor of the 20th anniversary of Zo’s series clinching shot vs Boston, here is my list of the best sports moments in Charlotte history. Don’t blame me entirely, since listener input was considered as well.
1) Charlotte gets an NBA team- Obviously I am talking about the first time. We are still not sure what happiness the Bobcats have really brought to the QC. But, without getting the Hornets, this city may still be waiting for it’s first major pro sports franchise and that means #2 and #3 would never have happened.
2) Panthers play in Super Bowl. Charlotte was represented in the biggest sporting event in the world. And, they went toe to toe with a dynasty to be in a classic. But, much of the country still remembers this as the night they saw Janet Jackson’s boob.
3) X Clown- Without Jake to Smitty in OT vs the Rams, there was no Super Bowl appearance. I still think this is the single biggest play in Charlotte sports history.
4) Niners in the Final Four- Cornbread Maxwell and the Niners provided the QC with it’s best College Sports Moment in 1977. A close 2nd goes to Steph Curry and Davidson.
5) Pass in The Grass- What a display of driving ability from hometown favorite and one of the best to ever drive a stock car, Dale Earnhardt Sr. Sure he never really passed Bill Elliot. But, he went into the grass and didn’t even slow down or lose the lead. You tube this moment from the 1977 All Star race to see greatness.