Mac’s Final Four Recap
Both games had some ugly moments, but when they came down to the wire, the finishes in both games were exciting. And, the ratings show that I am not the only one feeling that way. They were the highest in 8 years and four percent higher than last year. Here are some other thoughts on the action in Atlanta.
1) Ok, so Wichita State crumbled against the Lousiville press down the stretch. They still deserve credit for going 25 minutes against the Cards defense without a turnover. Simply amazing.
2) Benches were big. Luke Hancock hit big shots down the stretch and 20 points on the night. Louisville’s reserves has 34 pts in all. Michigan’s bench combined for four big treys in the first half and had 21 points on the night.
3) Karl Hess is still Karl Hess. He blew the whistle way too quick for a jump ball that denied WSU a chance at a potential game tying three.
4) Michigan almost handed it away late. They went into play not to lose mode and it almost cost them. But, with the starting backcourt for the Orange fouling out, they couldn’t make the plays they needed to down the stretch to win.
5) Once again a bad charge call plays a key role in the outcome. I didn’t think Jordan Morgan was set when he took the charge on Brandon Triche late. Seems like the refs are going with the when in doubt call a charge strategy way too often.