News Home

Mayor Kills Self Same Day Story Questions $38G In Mileage Reimbursements

View Comments
File photo of an ambulance. (credit: Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

File photo of an ambulance. (credit: Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

SALUDA, S.C. (AP) — Officials say the mayor of Saluda killed himself at a family home in Newbery County on Sunday, the same day a newspaper published a story questioning almost $38,000 in mileage reimbursements he received from the town.

Frank Addy Jr. was found dead Sunday morning from a gunshot to the head at a home on Lake Greenwood, Newberry County Coroner Craig Newton said.

Newton ruled the death a suicide. He said he is helping deputies as they continue to investigate the death.

The State Law Enforcement Division was investigating Addy based in part on a February story in The Index-Journal of Greenwood, which found the mayor claimed nearly $27,000 in travel reimbursements in 2012, more than triple what he spend the year before. Saluda reimburses Addy 55 cents a mile for his travel, which comes out to driving more than 48,000 miles last year.

Addy claimed $8,800 for travel in 2011 and $2,300 in 2010.

Addy told the newspaper at the time that he made most of the trips in a day, so he doesn’t have hotel or gas station receipts. He also said he couldn’t identify his destinations or the businesses he visited because the town keeps that information confidential.

In Sunday’s story, the newspaper ( contacted several fast-food chains, rural rehabilitation boards, warehousing businesses and other organizations Addy listed on the expense vouchers he submitted with the town. None recalled meeting with the mayor.

On two vouchers, Addy listed his destination as “Rural Rehabilitation Meetings” in Raleigh, N.C., and Atlanta. Addy’s name did not appear on the sign in sheet for the Nov. 15 meeting in North Carolina, and the Georgia meeting appeared to have never happened.

Thomas Carter, who was the assistant executive director for the Georgia Development Authority, said he did not recall meeting with anyone Nov. 23.

“The previous executive director also told me he did not have a recollection of a meeting with Mr. Addy,” Carter said. “That day, which would have been the Friday after Thanksgiving, we were out on state holiday.”

The newspaper reported that it asked Addy for an interview several times before publishing Sunday’s story. Addy postponed meetings several times, saying he was in ill health, then said he wasn’t going to talk until SLED finished its investigation.

“I’m just going to try and get through it,” Addy said.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 15,215 other followers