(CBS Charlotte) — Men have had beards since the beginning of time, although throughout history, some men have preferred to be clean-shaven.
It’s not really known when men first began shaving, however, cave drawings indicate that men used to shave by using clamshells, shark teeth, and sharp knives.
Throughout American history, men have typically grown beards to follow fashion trends or due to religious reasons. Even the majority of United States presidents were photographed sporting a beard between 1869 and 1913.
Over time, facial hair has evolved and men have sported beards in many different styles, but for the modern day guy who grows a beard — there are many benefits to having a beard:
- Having a beard can make you look older and more sophisticated. This could come in handy at your next job interview.
- Men who have beards look more intimidating than clean-shaven men. If you don’t want people to walk all over you, consider growing a beard.
- Men who have beards are generally thought to belong to a higher social class. Americans have always had interesting views about social class and people in our country who are thought to be of a higher social class, are usually treated better by society — compared to people who belong to a lower social class.
- Men who have beards look manlier. Feeling manlier is a great ego boost for a guy.
- Men who have beards are better protected against the harmful effects of the sun, and the risk of skin damage. Your bottle of sunscreen will last longer than a clean-shaven man.
There is one drawback to having a beard, and it’s a big one! Women find clean-shaven men significantly more attractive than men who have a beard. So if you’re looking to attract the ladies, you may want to ditch the beard.
-Nichole Jaworski, CBS Charlotte