News Home

Child Dies From E.Coli Infection Contracted At Fair

View Comments
File photo of hospital. (Photo by BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/GettyImages)

File photo of hospital. (Photo by BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/GettyImages)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

SHELBY, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina health officials say a child has died from an E. coli infection contracted at the Cleveland County Fair.

The Department of Health and Human Services announced the death Saturday. Ten children and five adults who attended the fair have gotten sick with the bacteria.

Health officials continue to investigate to determine the source of this E. Coli outbreak. The bacteria are found in the waste of animals, and people who touch contaminated material such as food or animals can transfer the bacteria to their mouths or to other people.

Cleveland County Fair director Calvin Hastings says the fair tried to prevent E. coli problems by adding hand-washing stations and moving food vendors farther away from animals.

The name of the child who died was not released.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 15,190 other followers