20601A-WFNZ-the-fan-Final2 35h_CBSSportsRad_1660AM

News Home

2 Children Die Of Carbon Monoxide In NC

View Comments
(Photo by Tim Boyle/Getty Images)

(Photo by Tim Boyle/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

ELKIN, N.C. (AP) — Two children have died at a home in Elkin from carbon monoxide and officials are blaming a generator.

Surry County emergency medical services director John Shelton says a friend went to a home early Wednesday to help a family move into their new home and found a woman unresponsive in a hallway.

Emergency responders took the 39-year-old woman to a local hospital for treatment. She was later transferred to the Duke University Hospital in Durham.

A 7-year-old boy and an 8-year-old girl were found dead in one of the bedrooms. Shelton says the children appeared to have been dead for several hours.

Shelton says a generator was found in the kitchen and was being used to power a refrigerator.

The victims’ names have not been released.

(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus