Bigger Issues Than Rivera’s Punt Decision
Buy Panthers Tickets
Ok, it seems like I am in the minority on this one, but I fully believe there were alot of things that happened in Sunday’s game that should concern Panther fans more than Ron Rivera deciding to punt the ball late.
The call to me is a coin flip type decision. The conventional call is to punt and pin the other team and make them go a long field with under a minute left and not many timeouts. The probability geeks say the numbers are in their favor and he should have gone for it. Either way, was it really as disturbing as these things?
1) Haruki Nakamoron was still in the game at safety. After a terrible 3 games and 59 minutes of football, how did Rivera still believe he was our best option at FS?
2) The scheme on the big pass play to Roddy White. No prevent? Munnerlyn stays short and Jon Beason is required to try to run deep after Julio Jones. And, Charles Godfrey lines up and stays way too long on the other side of the field, even though no Receiver is over there.
3) Conservative lollygagging late first half. Did JohnFox phone in that late first half offensive strategy? 1:49 left and 3 timeouts with this offense in a game that we know is going to be a shootout: why the hell are we playing for a FG at best?
4) Bad coverage with 7 guys. Kudos to the pass rush for registering 7 sacks without the help of much blitzing at all. The disturbing part of this is that the Cats dropped 7 guys into coverage on most plays and Ryan still tore us up for 369 yards. How many guys are they sending on the paterrn, 10?
5) Cam’s fumble. He is the franchise and he hasn’t had a 4th quarter comeback win against a winning team yet. If he holds onto the ball on that 3rd and short, he would have one. He has to hold onto that ball.