The conclusion of the summer Olympics, an event the world excitedly awaits for four years, can be a bit depressing. It signifies the conclusion of summer, the end of joyous patriotic competition. While we may be feeling a little blue that the games are over for another four years, the good news is that the athletes have given us some truly lasting moments. We’ll remember sweet Missy Franklin’s beautiful smile and Galen Rupp’s embrace with training partner Mo Farah. We’ll be proud of Michael Phelps’ prestigious title as the most decorated Olympian in history.
So, until 2016, we’ll ride these amazing moments and remember the passion and dedication that made this group of athletes so amazing. The following are ten of the most memorable moments from London 2012.
1. Michael Phelps becomes the best Olympian in history with 22 total medals. Phelps took 2 silver and 4 gold medals in London alone.
2. 16-year-old Gabby Douglas (the flying squirrel) takes home 2 gold medals and leads the fabulous five of the US women’s gymnastics team.
3. Friends and training partners embrace when they win gold and silver in the men’s 10,000M. Great Britain’s Mo Farah wins gold and United States’ Galen Rupp takes silver.
4. Aly Raisman’s parents react hilariously during her routine.
5. Serena Williams takes the gold, the one title missing from her resume, and shows off her dancing skills with the crip walk.
6. Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh take their third gold medal, go out with a bang.
7. The Jamaican “Bolt” becomes only the second Olympian to win gold twice in the Men’s 100M.
8. Dana Vollmer breaks the world record for the 100m butterfly with a time of 55.98 seconds.
9. The US Men’s basketball team battles it out against Spain to take the Gold.
10. 17-year-old Missy Franklin enters the Olympic stage and wins 4 gold medals with her sweet, inspirational smile shining.